The impact of the field of electrical engineering is felt in almost every aspect of modern life. From the construction of huge turbines that provide energy for entire cities, to the creation of miniature electronic devices for nano-technology, the development of new products and processes using electricity proceeds at an almost unfathomable pace.
The objective of the department is to prepare engineers for careers in this field of industry with advanced academic education and an applied orientation. Graduates are trained to carry on “lifelong learning” while practicing engineering in a challenging technological environment that is constantly developing. The curriculum emphasizes moral and ethical commitments of engineers and advocates teamwork.
Emphasis is placed on the field of electronics, which continues to evolve from the invention of the transistor. This is the field that created high tech and it continues to lead in providing the content for new directions. Afeka College’s Department of Electrical Engineering keeps its study programs relevant. Its faculty includes both experienced engineers with industrial R&D track records and scientists who are involved in academic research. Maintaining a balance between applied and theoretical studies has proven itself in preparing Afeka’s graduates for careers of excellence in engineering.
Structure of the B.Sc. program
About 85% of the program requires all students to complete mandatory courses. The other 15% allows students to choose elective courses and to take advantage of specialization potential.
- Sciences: Introductory and advanced mathematics (calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, numerical analysis, statistics and probability, etc.); physics (mechanics, electricity and magnetism, modern physics, wave theory, etc.); chemistry.
- Computer science: programming, computer aided tools for engineering i.e. Matlab.
Electrical engineering: linear circuits, power engineering, power supply, magnetic fields, RF.
- Electronics: logical systems, semiconductors, analog, digital, control systems (analog, digital and non-linear), signals (continuous, discrete, random), microprocessors, embedded systems, real time processing, DSP, VHDL, communication (analog, digital, optical and wireless) etc.
Students are also required to participate in numerous laboratory and CAD classes.
- Signal Processing
- Image and Video Processing
- Communication Theory
- Communication – The Physical Layer
- Power Systems
- Energy Systems and Electronic Drive
Each Afeka College graduate is required to choose or propose, plan and implement an individual project relevant to the program of studies. Some of the projects are offered by electrical and electronic industries and introduce the student to the demands of an actual working environment.